Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Simple Problem

Tonight Kristen hosted our third annual Christmas book club, which consists of a dinner and book exchange. It is always my secret most favorite Christmas party because not only do I know everyone there, I know them well, and everyone is very comfortable with one another after so many years in this club.

Kristen is the perfect person to play hostess for this particular month because she is the queen of making everything look like it is straight out of Martha Stewart or Real Simple. This year was no exception! She even had parting gifts of homemade bread. She never ceases to amaze me with her fun ideas.

So what is my problem? I have signed up to host book club in March. And since that really is only a couple of months away, I decided to get on the ball and find a book so that I can get it read over the Holidays. I jumped on Barnes and Noble and figured it would be easy. I would look at best sellers.

Right.

Did you know every best seller is written by either Barack Obama or Stephenie Meyer?

So I went to Good Reads in order to scour Kacy and Tara's lists. Kacy's are weird and eclectic and of the neurotic self-help genre. Just kidding - they aren't. She is extremely well-read. But most of her books are not the easy fiction that my group requires. So I went to Tara's list for help. She has reviewed 525 books. I'm still trying to get over that. I mean, in my life I am pretty sure I have read that many, but I couldn't remember them if you paid me. Well, maybe I could depending on how much you paid me.

And then I saw it. On Tara's list. THE BOOK. The book for March. The book that I would move mountains to read in the next few months.

Innocent Traitor: A Novel of Lady Jane Grey by Alison Weir

Last year I did The Constant Princess about Katherine of Aragon. This will be the perfect follow-up. I can't wait.

In fact, I think I'll just go with historical fiction surrounding Henry VIII from here on out.

My book club will love me.

6 comments:

The LaLa said...

You're funny! We are reading Cold Sassy Tree in January, which I read years ago. We just did The Last Lecture for December, and we all enjoyed it. Our book choices really run the gamut, but I seem to like most of them. How did you do your book exchange? I'm intrigued.

kacy faulconer said...

May I suggest Twilight? It's awesome!

Carly said...

May I suggest The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama? It's also awesome!

Jen said...

Ooh, a good book club makes me weak in the knees. I too am obsessed with events around that time. Loved The Constant Princess and The Other Boleyn Girl. I will have to look up THE BOOK. Hopefully our library has it.

Um, definitely read Katherine, by Anya Seton. One of my most favorite books ever!

Kristen said...

WHAT!?!?! You are NOT supposed to announce the book!! How do *I* get to reserve it first if you do that?!?

SHOOT!!!

You are much too kind in your flattery. It was a simple party to throw but I will also admit it's my favorite party of the year. Book Club is one of my most very favorite things! Reason #215 of why we can't move: I don't want to find a new book club!

Allison said...

Sounds good. I really like Constant Princess. I started reading all about the history of that weird Henry the 8th. What a major pig!