Monday, December 8, 2008

Nursery

Yesterday my little friends went to Primary for the first time and I was so proud of them! They sat on the front row and were so well behaved and stayed in their seats. They also participated and tried to sing the songs. It was so cute. Even the crazy ones like Londynn (just kidding, Emily!) were amazing. Actually, just so that Emily knows - yesterday Londynn really was awesome. She sat next to me and was very reverent. She even let me know that she needed to go to the bathroom and told me what she needed to do. It was really cute!

Anyway, I only have a few more weeks with these kids and I am going to miss them so much. I know I will still see them around, but that is very different from the one on one interaction. It's been really wonderful to see the changes they have made the past year. Being the nursery leader is the best calling in the church if you do it right! I love it. I would honestly do it forever if it wasn't so isolating.

One thing that I really got out of this is that it is so important to get to know all of the kids in your ward. They need to know that other adults know them and are "watching" them. I am going to try to make a point of knowing the names of as many kids in the ward from now on. And that is my challenge to my readers, too.

4 comments:

Olson's said...

First of all, you and Dave have got to be the VERY BEST nursery leaders EVER!

From a parent of one of your nursery children - thank you for all you have done to teach my daughter simple gospel truths and for helping her to learn manners at church. From the primary presidency - thank you for teaching the nursery kids how to listen and sit in a seat (I can already see that January will be easier than in years past....). And from a friend - thanks for being so diligent and excited about your calling. You have been a great example to me and I now look forward to serving in the nursery someday!

P.S. Great challenge - knowing names makes a huge difference :)

Trish and Matt said...

I think nursery teachers (especially the ones who enjoy their calling and prepare lessons in advance) should automatically be exalted. It's not a calling I think I could handle.

As for knowing the names ... I agree. I'm the Primary secretary and that's helped meet this goal in a huge way!

Emily said...

well I'm glad to here that my crazy one was well behaved (hope you weren't just saying that), maybe she was a little scared because she didn't know what was going on? lol Just give her some time. j/k You guys did such a great job with her I hope she carries that on to the next set of teachers. :)

Kristen said...

Ditto to Rachel. WE love that Greg goes to a "nursery CLASS" and not a "nursery free for all."

Despite him missing so much this year it amazes me everything he comes home with!! You and Dave and have been SO great in that calling!