Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I'm Sorry! I'm Sorry! Blame my "mother"!

Here is the thing.

I grew up with a mom that corrected my English constantly. It has been deeply ingrained in me since birth. Therefore hearing incorrect English, or seeing incorrect English is like nails on a chalkboard for me (unless I like, do it myself). I'm a stickler for spelling and punctuation, too. I'm glad that blogger has a spell check.

Christmas is a particularly difficult time of year for most people when it comes to punctuation.

For example, I recently received a card from my cousins that said, "Love, The Smith's." Smith is not their last name. What went through my head was, "The Smith's what?"

Love, The Smith's dog?

No apostrophe needed. It's just "Love, The Smiths". That's all.

I was discussing this with my friend Lisa who I can count as one of my snobby literate friends, when she pointed out the misuse of quotation marks that runs rampant in the world.

http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/

Now this is going to bug me, too.

We all have our thing. Please don't hate me because this is mine!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share this pet peeve! It makes me cringe when I see otherwise intelligent people make this mistake on Christmas cards. I also see it on mailboxes, among other places.

Lisa said...

And now Lisa is going to rock your world by pointing out that "alright" is not a word. It's "all right." It's a common error. Like people writing "alot" (also not a word). There was a The Who album called "The Kids are Alright" and everything went downhill from there.

Em said...

wow i bet my emails or conversations with you drive you crazy:)

Allison said...

ROFL! I am so like that too! I was an English major and I have serious issues with grammar and all things grammar related.

Dave said...

I'm very bad at this myself, so I decided to do some quick research. Google provided me with this link: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_apost.html