Wednesday, July 21, 2010

July 20, 2010: Lunch with my Posse

In the past year a really strange (not that we are strange) group of friends has come into my life. We collectively have two things in common - the charter school, and food. The charter school is how we met. The food is what brings us together.

Monday was my friend Melissa's birthday. I love Melissa. She is amazing. She is also a very calming influence for me. And she is very very funny, and also has a good sense of humor (which doesn't always go hand in hand). Melissa and I can talk every day for a week, or not see each other for a month. Doesn't matter. I love that.

We went to Chili's for Melissa's birthday, and I tried to make it a surprise, but she is a bad liar and once we got there, we knew that she knew. Or I am bad at surprises, which is likely as well! Five of us were able to be there and after eating bottomless chips (oxymoron? I would say they definitely add to your bottom) for about half an hour, we ordered. And talked.

The great thing about these friends is that we largely discuss ideas versus talk about people. Don't get me wrong, we are women! Sometimes we talk about people. But, mostly ideas. And these women are brilliant. Scary brilliant. And accomplished. And I always come away from hanging out with them feeling good about myself and the world around me because they are in it.

I love lunch.

My sweet friend, Heather, watched my kids while I went to lunch. When we got home, my cousin Erin came over with her kiddos and we swam for a while and talked. Then my scouts came over and we had our den meeting followed by the boys swimming. Cute of them - they said Josh could swim with them. He has a reverent awe for the scouts, who are about 3-4 years older than he is. I love that he is getting this example in his life.

Josh and Clara slept in a fort that I made (I have most excellent fort building skills) in the living room, and I made cookies for the pig roast this weekend.

I love Tuesdays.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I've been trying to think of some equally fabulous way to say thank you and so far, I'm coming up short. You are a beautiful friend and I love your guts. Even when we don't see each other for a month.
Wanna go see a movie soon? :)