Monday, June 21, 2010

June 20, 2010: Father's Day

We had a nice lazy morning yesterday before heading off to Church. I said to Dave on Saturday night, "I have every intention of getting up early tomorrow morning to make you breakfast."

But, you see, getting up early to make Dave breakfast, means getting up at around 5:30 am. He smiled and said, "I'll take care of it."

As it so happened, he slept in a bit and we ended up waking up around the same time. But, he still wanted to make his own breakfast because he likes to cook. So he whipped up his famous ATK pancakes and I went out and picked strawberries from the garden and voila! Breakfast.

At Church he got a page from work and missed most of Sacrament Meeting, including the Primary Children singing the one Primary song that I absolutely hate and think should be banned forever - aka "I'm So Glad When Daddy Comes Home". I remember being probably a 4-5 year old in Primary (the one instance of Church that I remember at that age) and the bishop came in and his daughter sat on his lap and sang the song and did the movements. All I could think of was, "My daddy doesn't come home." By then my parents were divorced and my dad lived in another state. So, I really hate that song. All I ever think of when I hear it are the kids up there singing it who don't have dads that come home. That's my soapbox on that.

After Church we headed out to Tooele for dinner. My mother-in-law made fantastic short ribs that literally fell off the bone, cornbread, salad, and beans. With so many men in the family, it's always a good idea to make a lot of meat! Then we headed out to go to the park for a little while and enjoy the evening outside. My father-in-law got a new bike so he and Josh rode to the park while the rest of us drove and met them there. It wasn't far, but it was too far to walk for Clara.

Papa and Josh take off on their bikes
Curt and Rob swing with Clara - our kids are lucky that they have fun uncles!
Dave and his Mama
Papa and Josh arrive at the park - then Josh raced off up over some hills in the distance and we had a frantic 10 minutes searching for him. The little punk.
The college graduate - so proud! :)
Clara loved the bumpy slide the best
A little too small of a bike, even for Rob
Clara was in heaven - she loves parks just about more than any other place
Josh taught her that you can go head first
Then he showed us his plumber while she took the plunge (ha)

After the park, we headed back to the house and played a speed round of Phase 10. Playing Phase 10 on Sunday evenings after dinner is a non-negotiable tradition! It was a fun and relaxing Father's Day and hopefully Dave enjoyed it.

No comments: