Thursday, June 10, 2010

June 10, 2010: Mixed Emotions

Today is a day that I was both looking forward to and dreading at the same time. I haven't quite sorted all of my emotions out about it. I keep bursting into tears at a moment's notice, but I am also peaceful again.

After three months of staying with us, my cousins from Hawaii left this morning. I woke up at 5:00am to say goodbye and fortunately it was a rushed occasion so that we didn't have too long to dwell. As hard as it has been to have 7 extra people staying here, we have had a wonderful time together. It was way less stressful than I anticipated. Way less fighting than I thought there would be between the kids. I really only had to have a sit down and holler session a couple of times. I had the chance to spend time with my 12 year old nephew, who taught me all about Pokemon, and I found that when he is working in the garden he becomes extremely talkative. Last night I went downstairs to tell him that I love him, to thank him for all of his help, and to reassure him that he is a good kid.

Saying goodbye to Jeanne and the baby was the hardest. Jeanne and I are very close - as close as sisters. We have had a lot of time to spend together and it has been fun to just sit and talk and reminisce. Plus I had a baby to snuggle and kiss and smell on a daily basis. He just started smiling this week.

So - bittersweet. While I am happy to have my house back, I will miss my cousins, and my kids will miss their cousins. This morning at 5:30am while I was crying after they left, Josh and Clara snuggled up to me. Josh got a kitchen towel to dry my tears and said, "It's ok, Mom. I will miss them, too."

No comments: