Friday, March 27, 2009

The Interesting Thing

The interesting thing about not working is that I don't spend as much money because I don't have it. I just find myself being more frutal, which is a good thing. I think before I buy, which is another good thing. I'm also saving more. All good things. The sad thing is that now I am not sure I want to go back to it. At least not at the intensity that I was doing it before. I've realized just how much time I was dedicating to it and how stressful it was.

At the same time, I love to work. I love to contribute. I wish I could get paid for doing the things I love (don't we all) and one of these days I will figure out how to do that. But for now, I am spending as much time just looking at my kids and burning their little faces into my brain so that when I am old I can remember how cute they were even when they were monsters.

The other interesting thing is that not constantly thinking about finding candidates frees up my brain for other things. This is both good and bad because once I start thinking, Dave's project list gets bigger. And it is already full to capacity. Like it is almost April and we still haven't primed the shelves downstairs that were supposed to be primed in January. Having said that, I am ok with it. I have realized that life just takes time. You can't get everything done that you need to in the time frame you want.

A funny little conversation that just occurred:

Clara: Mom, I got an owie on my foot. It hurts right here.
Mom: (Leans over and kisses ankle) I'm sorry you got hurt. You will get a lot of different owies in your life. You just gotta suck it up and say, "I'm Clara! I'm strong!"
Clara: (Pause) I don't want to suck it, Mom. It will just feel better.
Mom: (Laughing) Well, maybe you sprained it.
Clara: I don't want to spray it, either.

And that, my friends, is why you can't always get things done in the time frame you want. Because it's more important to stop and kiss the owies and have the funny conversations.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Cute story! I was working on Sophie's scrapbook today and had many of those same thoughts. I totally wish I could burn all of these little memories into my brain. They just don't all seem to want to stay!

Random note--but I always love to hear what you are reading. Email me a list when you get a chance. And what's going on with our roomie?

Allison said...

Love that last comment. So sweet.

The LaLa said...

That is hilarious!! Sounds like some of the funny things Tucker and Grace mis-hear and then respond to randomly. That wonderful teaching moment went right over her head -- whoosh! Hope your garden grows, Miss Mary Mary Quite Contrary.