Monday, October 19, 2009

October 19th

I am one of those strong, independent women that tries to do it all and really doesn't know how to say no. I often get really motivated and excited about things that probably don't matter as much, but take me out of the mundane part of raising children. All I wanted in my 20's was to be married and a stay at home mom, but 12 years of working makes me crave the validation that comes from a job well done.

But for the past several months I have been feeling way too stretched - too many projects plus work plus making sure the kids brush their teeth. I've felt like something has got to give. The only thing that really could go is my job. At the same time, it is definitely a good thing to have in this economy. I have wrestled with it a great deal and still haven't come to a decision.

About a year ago a woman worked for my company who was a bit of a whiner. She wanted to work from home because I did, she complained if someone called a candidate that she put into our applicant tracking system, but never called herself. She made excuse after excuse as to why she wasn't successful. It got pretty old. My bosses decided that she could work from home, but then could only work straight commission (versus a salary plus commission). I thought it was incredibly generous considering they really should have let her go. She wasn't happy with the option and filed with the Department of Labor.

As a result, and after a year of investigation, my company has had to make some changes to the employment status of everyone. No longer can employees be exempt - they all have to be non-exempt and stick to 40 hours a week or they have to get overtime. And the worst end result is that they can no longer employ independent contractors (like myself) with the same parameters that we have now. This has an impact on me and the boss's sister, who is a part-time indy who works from home and lives in Idaho.

Going to work full time is not remotely an option for me, and going to 100% commission isn't realistic, either. So maybe the decision has been made for me? I don't know yet how it will all play out. It would be nice to take some time off and work on the house projects that I have in the works. I have a ton of painting to get done. I never thought 2 1/2 years ago when I started working that I would go this long. But at the same time, it has been a huge blessing for us.

2 comments:

The LaLa said...

Wow, ironic, isn't it? Perhaps this was an answer to your unspoken prayer?

Em said...

I feel your pain, not about the job part so much as the having to cut stuff out to make things less stressful i don't like cutting anything out and like you take on to much. it is hard.