Monday, August 17, 2009

Torn

Josh starts school a week from Friday. Not 12 kids per class preschool. Real Kindergarten. I feel like I am throwing my child into the lion's den. Is he ready? Have I prepared him enough for the big bad world?

On the other hand. JOSH STARTS SCHOOL! No more crazed, bored Josh! In theory anyway.

Over the weekend I got the rest of his school clothes. He seriously can go two weeks without me doing laundry. That was my goal. I'm not a fan of laundry. I also didn't buy him one stitch of non school related clothing. I expect him to come home from school (at noon) and change back into his pajamas. Just kidding. Thanks to his best buddy who happens to be a head taller, he has a lot of clothes that he will be able to change into after school.

His birthday is also coming up in a few weeks, which he likes to remind me of 12 times a day. I have no idea what to get him. Legos? They get scattered and pieces are lost. Trains are old news. Trick Tracks didn't bring the desired effect. Basically, I don't want to buy toys. He wants a remote control car. The one we got him before is broken. You get the picture. I've thought about a couple more computer games. He has a zillion books that have been collected over the years. But really, I want something that will bring excitement to his face. Because the crestfallen look just breaks my heart. I'm willing to listen to suggestions on this. He does have a leapster so a game might be a good option. Educational is what I am going for, but something that he will really use and like.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Is he old enough to be excited about a date night from him and mom and dad - like a Jazz game or movie or dinner or something just you guys? We'll watch Ms Clara and now I even know which song I'm supposed to be singing... :)

Lisa said...

A puppy!

Carly said...

How about a backpack stocked with cool camping supplies and his very own first aid kit? I think that's what we got Holden around that age. Or you could get him a tackle box with some rope, a flashlight, a survival whistle, etc. Maybe he's not into that stuff? Just a thought. Something non-toy from the grown up world seems to work occasionally.

kacy faulconer said...

Get him on the waiting list for The Beatles Rock Band. That's what I would want.

Em said...

what has he expressed interest in?

Jen said...

Wow! School. I still feel like I am throwing Noah to the lions. Or I say the wolves. I don't know that that feeling every goes away!