Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 6, 2010: A Bountiful Basket

We came back from our vacation to a huge harvest.

Ok, it wasn't huge, but it was a start. I pulled out all of the onions. They were a variety of sizes and when I cut into one of them tears ran down my face immediately. I think I will be letting Dave cut these up. Our plan is to chop them, freeze them, and use them in soups and enchiladas.
I have about 1000 strawberries that are coming ripe. These were the ones most ripe so I went ahead and picked them and froze them and put them into a ziploc bag for smoothies. I will probably go and pick them every few days and do the same thing and maybe end up with 5-6 full ziploc bags. Not too shabby since this is our second batch of strawberries this year. We got our first one in June.

We have a ton of green beans coming in as well. These were the longest and most ready to harvest. We had them for dinner, along with others I had picked before we left on our trip. Our tomatoes are starting to come in as well. I planted cherry and grape and Early Girl (that didn't make it other than the one bigger tomato) this year.

Next year I am doing something radical and revamping my whole vegetable garden as I know it. It should be very exciting and a lot of work, but I am up for it. I have mapped it out and will start on some of it this Fall after I pull everything out of the square foot garden. Stay tuned...

No comments: