Wednesday, April 22, 2009

No Really, You DO Need Sprinklers

About four years ago we got four loads of dirt and sod and put it in the backyard.

"No, I don't need a sprinkler system. I'll just go out and water with the hose."

I could hear the snickers and laughs from everyone I shared THAT idea with, but hey - my mom did it in Phoenix for 100 years, I figured I could do it here for 4 months out of the year.

I was wrong. The grass died (laughing all the way - ho ho ho) and we were faced with a monumental decision about the next step in our journey through yardwork. We were still facing the sideyards - clearing out the massive amounts of weeds, putting down weed barrier, filling with gravel. Still facing the front yard - island all torn up. See where I am going with this?

We hired someone. Someone who will do the side yards, redo the backyard (leaving space for our pool), reconfigure the sprinkler system so that it will still water the yard, but also allow for a drip system through the flower beds both front and back. Bless his heart - he is outside with his crew working like a dog to get it done. I'm astonished every time I walk back there. I have a renewed hope in my yard and what I may be able to accomplish this year.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

That's so exciting - maybe he could come my way next and build our garden area...

Sheila and Mario said...

I hope you have before and after pics!

Kristen said...

It's looking great! And yeah, sprinklers help. But you really didn't need them at first when your yard was flooded! Dan installed our drip system and it works great, we love it. Happy kick back and relax while someone else does the yard week! Yahoo!!