Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sleeping Like A Baby

My baby girl is turning three in March which means she is not so baby-like, sweet-smelling 100%, or....relaxing. Today, however, she was all three at church. Used to a 9:00am start, she was droopy-eyed by the time we got into Sacrament Meeting at noon. Around 12:15 she was snuggling in my lap. By 12:25 she was out with arms thrown to the side like a frog being dissected. She stayed that way for at least 20 minutes before I had to shift position. As I sat there smelling her hair and holding her hands I realized how little time I have left for these types of moments. I remembered when I was pregnant with her and how I snuggled with Josh that way thinking I didn't have much time. How have they grown so fast? I want her to just be a little girl and watch her sing and dance and twirl in her princess dresses. I want to keep her safe.

Now, Josh is all elbows and knees. No pudge to snuggle up to. He's still a snuggler, but it's just not as comfortable. He doesn't "fit" on my belly anymore. But when he is asleep and peaceful I see his baby face that I love. Sometimes when I sneak into his room to give him last kisses after he is asleep, he wakes up enough to whisper, "I love you, Mom." He wraps his little arms around my neck and lets me give his cheek 100 kisses. Last night I whispered, "Thank you for being my little boy." He whispered, "Thank you for being my Mommy."

If I had a dollar for everytime someone has said, "Cherish these moments," I would be rich. I do cherish these moments. Every. Single. Day.

That doesn't mean I am not excited for no more diapers. I'm just sayin'.

1 comment:

The LaLa said...

Sweet, sweet post, Heidi. I want you to know those feelings never go away, even when your baby towers over you. Unfortunately, they don't tolerate you smelling their hair so much anymore. Thank heavens for grandchildren to remind us how it used to be.