Friday, November 27, 2009

November 14, 2009: Hawaii - Day Seven Part Two

After getting packed up, we headed back up to Honoka'a for the reception. It's a bit daunting going to a reception where you don't know many people, but I was recognized by a few people having visited Kristine last January. I went to church with her and apparently I stood out.

Kristine's Centerpieces
The food table was incredible. It combined Hawaiian food and Filipino food and I have never in my life seen a larger variety at one reception. There was chicken, beef, fish and pork, as well as about 20 different sides. And it wasn't catered! The people in the ward cooked all of this! Really - I kind of think that is how it should be. But, I guess it's not always feasible depending on the circumstances of the wedding. It was fun to see how involved Bango and Kristine's ward was in the event.
The cake - I loved her colors. They were so peaceful and to see a roomful of them was so very ocean-like. :)
Have I mentioned that Russ and Matt have a great sense of humor? While they were out and about, they decided to buy matching shirts in Kristine's colors. We got a big laugh out of it. It was fun, though, because we all looked matchy-matchy and island-y.
We were so very tired, but having so much fun. Dave's eyes are open. He always looks like they are closed in pictures.
Here we all are with Kristine while Bango is singing up on stage. It was just luck that Tiff brought a shirt that had the light blue color in it. Marlane and I bought shirts at Hula Moon for it.
Bango working the crowd.
Three trays of meat!
We chose a table in the back so that we would be inconspicuous, but it didn't work. We were called everything from the "Crew from the Mainland" to "Those ocean people."
I was hoping for some kind of cake shmooshing action here, but they were well-behaved.
Bango wrote a song for Kristine and performed it for us. I wish I had it on video because it was a great song!
Look at this beauty! I have never seen her look so happy and it was wonderful to be able to see this expression on her face all week!
Matt and Renae - getting their groove on.
Kristine performed a hula for Bango, which, if you know her, is a HUGE deal because she is not one to be in the spotlight like that.
What's a reception in Hawaii without Karaoke? We decided to join in the fun, and sang "Lean On Me". Kristine jumped up on the stage to join us. The last time we all sang together was at our ward closing social in 1996 where we sang the song "Apartment #9". It was fun and tearful and we looked pretty dorky, but who cares?
Finally it was time to go, so we took one last picture with all of us before heading to the airport for our red-eye back to Phoenix. The only thing that would have made this trip better would have been to have Mikie, Jenn, Joe, James, and Ben. Someday we will all get together with our spouses, but living all over the country makes that tough. It's been 15 years since I moved in with these girls (instead of moving back to Phoenix, which was my plan). That decision changed the course of my life. It's funny how that happens. And now, 15 years later, all seven of us have been married in the temple. We talked about how important our little group is to each of us, and how grateful we are to have found each other. We don't see or talk to each other very often, but, we know that another 15, 20, 30 years could go by and we will still all be friends, who stay up way too late talking and eating stuff that isn't good for us. I know that there are groups of women like this all over the world, and I'm just grateful for my #9 girls.

2 comments:

Trish and Matt said...

It looks like such a fun trip! And, I must say, you look great in these pictures.

The LaLa said...

What a blessing for all 7 of you -- these are golden friendships. Loved the photos of the reception -- those beautiful blue shades are very calming, you're right! You guys are the new Blue Man Group.