Wednesday, February 11, 2009

M.I.A.

I have been pretty out of it the past few days so I haven't gotten around to more Hawaii posts. I can joke about my toe, but it is pretty dadgum painful - and has lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. Being on the painkillers numbs my senses and makes me a little depressed and the fact that I can't wear shoes or drive doesn't help. My kids are bouncing off the walls. I feel pretty isolated and just...dull. It's hard to explain. I am beginning to understand what consistent pain can do to someone. Last night I really wanted to go to book club, but I couldn't even walk around the corner. I have to soak twice a day and then clean it. A few people have asked me why it should hurt so much - they have lost toenails before. I think there is a big huge difference between losing it and having it forceably removed and essentially ripped off. I know that paints a very gross picture, but, this is a very painful, raw, experience. I really wouldn't wish it on anyone.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I wish I were there--I would bring you yummy treats and my kiddos could entertain yours.

Hope you can get out soon! Love ya!

Sapphire Mommy said...

I wish I could be there to help ya out too!! I hope it gets better for ya soon and your up and around chasing after those kiddos.

Lisa said...

So, they're being careful about cellulitis here, right? Because if just banging your toe gives you cellulitis, it seems like ripping of the nail would be even riskier...

Lisa said...

So, they're being careful about cellulitis here, right? Because if just banging your toe gives you cellulitis, it seems like ripping of the nail would be even riskier...